Become a Licensed Taxi Driver in Glasgow
A job as a taxi driver in Glasgow is a promising career, and a great opportunity for those who enjoy seeing the sites and meeting new people. In order to obtain a taxi driver license in Glasgow, you must meet specific eligibility requirements, pass a test regarding the topography of the city and obtain employment with a local taxi company. The largest taxi company in the city, Glasgow Taxis Limited, has other employment requirements as well.
Eligibility Requirements to Become a Glasgow Taxi Driver
- Review the eligibility requirements to become a taxi driver in Glasgow. Original documentation is required to prove the following:
- You are at least 21 years old.
- You have a valid U.K. driver's license, issued at least 1 year ago.
- You have legal approval to work in the U.K. For European nationals, a full U.K. or Europe passport is acceptable. For non-European nationals, you will need to provide your passport and U.K. residence permit.
- You have a clear criminal history. If you were born outside the U.K., you must provide a criminal record check from your country of birth. Additionally, you need to provide a criminal record check for every country outside the U.K. that you lived in for 6 months or longer.
- Attend topographical courses on the city of Glasgow, a requirement regardless of your intended employer. The classes are provided every week at the Glasgow Taxis Limited headquarters at 140 Boden Street. Call 0141 287 4811 or visit the company website (http://www.glasgowtaxis.co.uk/glasgow-taxis/taxi-school-training/) for information on dates, times and cost.
- Download and fill out the application to take the topographical test, available on the Glasgow City Council website (https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4992).
- Send your application to the Licensing Section, Room 29, 235 George Street, Glasgow, G1 1QZ.
- Upon receipt of your application, the Licensing Section will schedule you for the next test date and notify you by post.
- Plan to bring a recent passport size photograph of yourself to the test.
- Pass the topographical test in order to proceed with obtaining your Glasgow taxi driver license. The test lasts approximately 45 minutes and consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, each containing 4 possible responses. In order to pass, you need to receive an 80% or higher success rate on the test.
Obtaining a Glasgow Taxi Driver License
- Download and fill out the application for taxi driver licensing after meeting the eligibility requirements. The form is available on the Glasgow City Council website.
- You must provide original documentation when you apply for a license that proves you meet each requirement. The Licensing Authority will make copies and return the original documents to you.
- Submit the application for taxi driver license and the necessary documentation by mail or in person to the Licensing Section, Room 29, 235 George Street, Glasgow, G1 1QZ.
- Obtain a 1-year Glasgow taxi driver license.
Additional Requirements for Employment with Glasgow Taxis Limited
- Agree to a criminal background check conducted by Disclosure Scotland. Glasgow Taxis Limited provides the disclosure application for potential drivers, but you must pay the fee. The results will provide all convictions and other relevant non-conviction information.
- Attend an interview at Glasgow Taxis Limited.
- Learn the dispatch system for Glasgow Taxis Limited. This requires taking the Taxi Raywood Computer Course (fee required).
- You may renew your license following the first year for a minimum of 2 years (maximum of 3 years). Licensing fees do apply and are available on the Glasgow City Council website.
- If you have questions about your eligibility for licensing or the licensing process, contact Glasgow Licensing Section at 0141 287 4811.