Make Chocolate Toffee Squares
Yummy, chocolatey, and addictive, these chocolate toffee squares are ideal treats for the movie-night in or a day trip away. They are easy to make and you can enrich the chocolate flavor with your favorite source of chocolate.
Yield: One 9"x13" pan
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 12 - 15 minutes
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- Butter flavored cooking spray or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans/walnuts (optional)
- 1 package of 6 normal sized Hershey Bars; you can also substitute 1 6-ounce package of semi-sweet, sweet, or dark chocolate chips for the Hershey Bars, which will work the same
- Preheat the oven to 350°/180ºC. Lightly grease the 9 x 13 inch (23cm x 33cm) cake pan with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Mix all but the chocolate and nuts together in the mixer. This will make the toffee batter.
- Spread the toffee batter in the cake pan using the rubber Fold (Baking). Try to make the batter as even as possible.
- Place the toffee batter in the preheated oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Take the toffee out of the oven using the oven mitts.
- Lay one layer of chocolate over top of the toffee; for the best effect, put the chocolate on the hot toffee as soon as the toffee is taken out of the oven. Spread the melting chocolate with the rubber spatula until the top of the toffee has been evenly covered.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with Make Cherry Nut Topping. While optional, if you like nuts, this is a tasty and crunchy addition.
- Put the chocolate toffee squares in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until chocolate is hard. After the chocolate has hardened and is firm, cut into squares of about 2"x2" or so. Serve and enjoy!
- You can add whipped cream for a tasty treat!
- For long term storage, keep in a fridge.
- This tastes good when served at room and fridge temperature, depending on if you want it warm or cool.
- If you don't leave the toffee squares for their exact time in the fridge it will still be watery and will break easily.
- Never put your hands or fingers in the mixer while it's running or you could be seriously injured.
- Whenever working with an oven always be careful.
Things You'll Need
- 9 x 13 inch (23cm x 33cm) cake pan
- Rubber spatula
- Oven mitts
- Table knife
- Make Toffee Candy
- Make Jersey Toffee
- Make Chocolate Fridge Cake
- Make Honeycomb Toffee
- Make Caramel Chocolate Slice
- Make Chocolate Rough Slice
- Make Marbled Chocolate Caramel Slice
- Make Caramel Squares