Negotiate the Cost of Windshield Replacement
If you find yourself in need of having your car windshield replaced you may be overwhelmed by the process and concerned about the cost. Here we will review what you need to do in order to get a great deal as well as what you need to know about handling the process.
- Determine What You Really Need. Many times a windshield does not need to be entirely replaced as many chips and cracks can be repaired. If the damage you have is simply a chip or a crack smaller than a dollar bill then chances are good you can simply opt to have the damage repaired which takes less time and is also less expensive.
- Contact Your Insurance Company. Depending on the coverage you have, your insurance company may cover the cost of repair or replacement. The only way to know for sure is to contact them in order to review your policy and find out what your options are. If your insurance company will cover the cost there is no need to negotiate on your part. If the expense must be paid by yourself, then consider the following negotiation tips.
- Be Willing to Wait. Many replacement companies offer an expedited service which will have your windshield replaced and you back in the driver seat quickly. However, a service such as this will cost more since the company will need to pay for quicker shipment of the replacement windshield and the job will take priority over other jobs. If you can survive a few days without your car then you won't have to pay for this expedited service.
- Pay Cash. Many times companies will offer a cash discount since the processing of credit cards carries a fee for every business. This doesn't always apply but will work many times, so it never hurts to ask.
- Check Out the Little Guy. When you call around for prices be sure to include smaller companies in your search. Quite often a smaller company will be able to offer a better deal as well as offering better all around customer service.
- Don't be afraid to shop around. Call a number of companies to get an idea of prices. Just like everything else, it's possible to shop around for a better deal.