Reset Service Lights BMW X5 or X6 (E70 or E71)
Servicing you BMW requires you to also reset the service light. The operation for resetting BMW service lights is not the same across the range, so this is the order of operations for any X5 or X6 (E70 or E71)
- Insert your remote key into the key slot. Next press the 'Start Stop' button once without putting your foot on the brake. You should see numerous lights turn on in the dash.
- Wait for any warning lights to go out. In some cases, such as a low fuel warning light, you may need to press the 'BC' button on the end of the indicator stalk once to remove them.
- Press and hold the black button. It is located on the bottom left of the speedometer (instrument cluster). An exclamation mark will appear in the screen in middle of the speedometer, but keep holding down the button until the next picture appears- then let go.
- Cycle through the images. One by one, go through all of the picture options for each service. When you arrive at the service that you wish to reset press and hold the black button until the text 'Reset?' is visible under the picture, then let go. Finally press and hold the button again to confirm the reset.
- Choose a service option. Two service options which may be visible on your dash require resetting to a future date (statutory vehicle inspection and statutory exhaust gas inspection). This is done similarly by pressing singularly to scroll though the numbers and a long press to confirm your selection. Also I have had instances where statutory inspections will not reset. In Australia neither of these services are required and they can be removed at any BMW dealership, if you can't reset them manually you'll have to visit the dealer.
- Don't reset services which you haven't performed, especially not brake services. If you attempt to reset a brake service warning without replacing the brake pad warning sensor along with the brakes the vehicle will log a fault code which can only be reset at a BMW dealership. Also don't use this info for dishonesty, you'll only be hurting yourself or others.