Wear a Jockstrap
A jockstrap consists of a waistband, usually elastic, as well as a support pouch for the genitals. They were developed almost 150 years ago for bicyclists.Nowadays, they are used for support and comfort during a variety of sports, often with the addition of a cup for added protection. Increasingly, fashion jockstraps are also worn as an everyday replacement for more traditional underwear.
Wearing a Jock Strap for Sports
- Wear a jockstrap for comfort and protection while playing sports. A jockstrap is recommended for any sport that requires running, such as track and field or basketball. For contact sports or sports involving fast-moving balls, a cup is also recommended.
- Make sure your jockstrap fits correctly. You will want to consider waist size and pouch comfort. The jockstrap should be tight enough to lift and hold the penis and testicles close to the body, out of the way during movement. but not too tight, as chafing can contribute to jock itch.
- Decide if you will be wearing a cup. A cup is a hard molded piece of plastic or metal that fits inside of a pouch in the jock strap.
They are recommended for any sport involving contact or speeding projectiles, such as hockey, soccer, baseball, football, or mixed martial arts. Some men wear a cup-jockstrap in daily wear, not just when playing sports, to augment their masculine appearance.
- Many athletes are reluctant to wear cups, particularly in football, but consider that more than half of all testicular injuries occur during sports and testicular torsion and testicular rupture can lead to losing a testicle.
- Choose your cup. Many cups are sport specific, so you’ll need to know the sport you are going to use it for.
You will want to consider both comfort and the degree of protection the cup offers.
- For a cup to work, it must fit tightly against the body. You will want to make sure your jockstrap is tight enough to prevent the cup from rolling or twisting.
- Look for cups with cushioned edges. A hard edge will just transfer the force of the blow to the pelvic area. A soft edge provides better cushioning during impact.
- For really fast moving sports like lacrosse or baseball, consider a titanium cup.
- Consider wearing compression shorts over your cup-jockstrap if you think the cup- jockstrap fits too loose and does not hold the cup tight enough against your body. Compression shorts offer similar support as a jockstrap, and some compression shorts come with a pouch designed to hold a protective cup, but many compression shorts that have a pouch do not hold the cup tight against the body. It is better to wear a cup in a cup-jockstrap and then wear tight fitting compression shorts over the cup-jockstrap to hold the cup firmly in place and tight against the body. In many sports such as football, compression shorts are now preferred by many athletes. But remember always that the cup must be held firmly in place and tight against the body for it function properly.
Wearing a Jock Strap for Fashion
- Wear a fashion jockstrap as you would regular underwear. Increasingly, men are turning to jockstraps as an everyday form of underwear due to their comfort and attractiveness.
- Make sure your jockstrap is comfortable. Jockstraps are usually sized by waist. You will want to try several to make sure your genitals are also comfortable. Unlike in sports, you do not need to worry about how close they hold your genitals to your body. Pick a jockstrap that you find most comfortable.
- Decide on a style. Fashion jockstraps don’t just come in the typical waist band, pouch and two straps style that typifies sports jockstraps. Some have thicker straps or multiple straps, while others have more material to help shape your buttocks.
- Choose the material. Like other kinds of underwear, fashion jockstraps come in a variety of materials: cotton, mesh, silk and even fur!
- Consider the shape of the pouch. Fashion jockstraps come in a variety of shapes, including snug, contour and natural. Some even come with plastic cups for “aesthetic enhancement.”
- Pick your brand. 35% of men say they buy their underwear in order to show off the brand peeking out from the waist of their pants. Consider popular fashion brands like Jack Adams, Nasty Pig, N2N, Modus Vivendi, Pump! And Baskit.
- Especially for jockstraps worn during sports, be sure to wash them after every use to avoid jock itch. You can wash a jockstrap in the washing machine. If using a cup, wash it with soap and water after each use.
Sources and Citations