Advertise a Garage Sale on Craigslist
Craigslist is a website where you can post online advertisements for free. The site breaks its advertising pages down into individual cities from various countries, where people can post ads for that particular region. You can post an ad to Craigslist with or without signing up for a free Craigslist account.
- Direct your browser to the Craigslist homepage. Choose the geographic location that matches or is closest to yours if necessary.
- Search Craigslist for other garage sales ads to see what others have posted. Try to think of ways to improve your ad to distinguish it from others.
- Click on "Post to Classifieds." The posting link is in the upper left area of the webpage.
- Fill out Craigslist's posting form.
- Choose what type of ad you are posting. A garage sale ad may be posted under "for sale," then "garage sale".
- Choose your closest geographic region, such as what part of the state your garage sale will take place in.
- Choose the city that best matches your garage sale's location if desired. Craigslist will also allow you to skip this step.
- Provide information about your garage sale for the advertisement. State the time, date and place for the sale in the title and the ad's description. Include a partial list of items you will be selling to attract people to your garage sale.
- Choose up to three sale dates for your garage sale.
- If choosing whether to show or hide your email address, hiding it will not let people seeing your ad contact you by email. You will need to include other contact information in your advertisement if you want to answer questions or comments about your garage sale.
- Add images to your ad if desired. Click the "Add/Edit Images" button, then "Choose File" to select an image file from your computer.
- Submit the form when finished going through all the steps.
- Check your email account for an emailed link from Craigslist to an online form.
- Click on the link to make any final changes to your ad.
- Publish your ad. It should show up on Craigslist within 15 minutes.
- Click "My Account" on the Craigslist homepage. It is under the "Post to Classifieds" link.
- Sign up for an account first if you do not have one.
- Click the link that says "Sign up for an account" at the bottom of the "My Account" webpage.
- Enter your email address and the verification word(s) shown for security purposes.
- Click "Create Account."
- Check your email to receive instructions on finishing the account setup process.
- Login to your Craigslist account. Use your email address and password.
- Select the Craigslist webpage of the local area you want to post your ad in. Find it in the upper right menu of your homepage. Click "Go."
- Go through the step-by-step form to create your ad. Fill in your ad's title and information.
- Publish your advertisement.
- For the U.S. cities of Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington, D.C., Craigslist's classified ads will be deleted after having been posted for 7 days. All other cities will have classifieds expire or be deleted 45 days after posting.
- For some big ticket items, it may be worthwhile to place an individual ad for the item under its appropriate category, with picture, and directing potential buyers to the garage sale.(and its ad)This will capture those "non-garage sale" folks who are looking for a specific item under its category, especially those who browse by picture rather than searching by text.
- The content of your ad is what gets people to your sale! Think about what garage sale shoppers are looking for. List your big-ticket items in the ad, along with collectibles and other popular items like video games and systems, CDs, DVDs, name-brand clothing, and outdoor sporting goods.
- Keep the email Craigslist sends after you submit your ad's online form or have it re-sent. You can edit or delete an ad posted without an account by using the link in the email.
- Having a Craigslist account is beneficial if you frequently post ads and makes editing, deleting and managing your ads easier.
- To make sure you are on the legitimate Craigslist website, type in the URL of the Craigslist homepage directly into your browser's address bar. Click the "My Account" link to login.
- Beware of emails that send you a link to a Craigslist login page and ask for your login information. They are not legitimate.
- Craigslist does have some restrictions on what you can advertise or sell on their website, such as illegal activities or items.
Things You'll Need
- Craigslist website
- Online posting form
- Email address
- Garage sale information
- Digital images
- Craigslist account
3 DAY .GARAGE SALE 9/21-22-23..7256 N. OTTAWA AVE. [EDISON PARK]
- Accept Payments on Craigslist
- Search All of Craigslist Nationwide
- Sell an Item Faster on Craigslist
- Buy a Used Car Off Craigslist
- Add a New Listing in Advett