Hide a Facebook Message
Facebook's archive feature hides messages from your inbox. The archived messages move to a hidden folder, which you can access at any time. A new message from the same friend will pop the whole conversation back to your inbox, so don't rely on it to hide an ongoing conversation.
On a Computer
- Visit your main message screen. Log on to your Facebook account. Visit facebook.com/messages to see your inbox. Alternatively, click the Messages icon at the top of the page, then click See All on the drop-down menu.
- Select the conversation. Click the conversation from the list in the left pane.
- Click the cogwheel icon. This is located above the conversation in the center pane.
- Select Archive. Clicking the cogwheel opens a drop down menu. Select Archive from this list to move the messages to a hidden folder. If the same person contacts you again, the old message will move back to your inbox.
- To find this message again, click Other at the top of your list of Messages. Select Archived from the drop-down menu.
- Use the mouseover options instead. You can also archive conversations without opening them. Just scroll through your list of conversations, and hover your cursor over the one you want to hide. A tiny X will appear near the right edge of the box. click this X to archive the message.
- Delete a message permanently. You can permanently remove a message from your inbox, although it will still show up in your friend's. If you're sure you want to do this, follow these steps:
- Select a conversation from the main Messages screen.
- Click the Actions icon at the top of the screen. This looks like a cogwheel.
- Select Delete Messages... from the drop down menu. Click the check box next to each message you wish to delete. Click Delete in the lower right, then Delete Message in the pop-up confirmation window.
- To delete an entire conversation, select Delete Conversation from the Actions menu instead.
On a Mobile Device
- Hide messages on a smartphone browser. Open any browser on a smartphone or tablet, and log on to Facebook. Follow these instructions to hide a message:
- Tap the Messages icon (a pair of speech bubbles).
- Swipe left on the conversation you want to hide.
- Tap Archive.
- Hide messages from a non-smartphone. Use these instructions if your phone is not a smartphone, but does have a mobile browser:
- Log onto Facebook.
- Open a conversation.
- Select Choose an action.
- Select Archive.
- Select Apply.
- Use the Android app. If you have the Facebook Messenger app on your Android device, you can manage messages from your smartphone or tablet. Open the Facebook app on your Android device to get started:
- Tap the speech bubble icon.
- Press and hold the conversation you want to hide.
- Tap Archive.
- Do it from your iOS Device. This will work on an iPhone and an iPad. Download the Facebook Messenger app if you haven't already, then begin hiding messages:
- Open your Facebook app.
- Tap the Messenger icon at the bottom of your screen. This looks like a lightning bolt.
- Swipe left on the conversation you'd like to hide.
- Tap More.
- Tap Archive.
- If you want to save a conversation but don't want to risk anyone finding it, Take-a-Screen-Shot-(Screen-Capture) of the message, then delete it. Store the screenshot on a personal device.
- Your actions only affect your personal Facebook account. The people you were messaging will still see the conversation in their inbox.
- To see the messages of a Page you manage (such as a business or fan group page), log in from a computer or download the Pages Manager App to your mobile device.
- In most cases, the option to permanently delete a message is found on the same list of options as Archive.
- Facebook Messenger may not work on mobile devices running older operating systems. Log in from a mobile browser or computer instead.
Sources and Citations