Maintain a Boat Trailer
Template:Stub If you've never trailered a boat, there are several things you need to consider. Maintenance doesn't end at your boat, your boat trailer needs upkeep as well. Trailer hubs and lights get dunked twice every time you go boating. You need to pamper them as you would your boat- this is an essential element of boat trailer maintenance. Follow these tips to get more miles our of your trailer.
- Do an occasional inspection by popping off the cap with a screwdriver.
- If the bearings are dry, add grease. It's simple.
- Conduct routine maintenance by having a friend or family member occasionally stand behind your trailer and make sure the brake lights, taillights and turn signals are in good working order.
- As with your boat, a thorough freshwater wash down of your trailer after each use will extend the life of your hubs and lights.
- It's also a great boat maintenance idea to invest in a spare wheel, just in case.
- Consider buying a spare hub with bearings to keep as a spare. Water and grease do not play well together and if you damage a bearing you can replace the hub and get home safely.
- http://www.discoverboating.com Shared with permission.