Change the Group Admin on WhatsApp on iPhone or iPad
This article teaches you how to make a group member an admin in a WhatsApp group chat, using an iPhone or iPad. You have to be an admin in a group to make somebody else a group admin as well.
10 Second Summary
1. Open WhatsApp.
2. Tap Chats.
3. Tap on a group chat.
4. Tap on the group name.
5. Scroll down to PARTICIPANTS.
6. Tap on a group member.
7. Select Make Group Admin.
- Open WhatsApp Messenger on your iPhone or iPad. The WhatsApp icon looks like a green speech balloon with a white telephone in it.
- Tap the tab. This button looks like two speech balloons next to the Settings icon in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- If WhatsApp opens up to a previous chat conversation, tap the back button in the upper-left corner to go back to Chats.
- Tap on a group chat. Find the group chat you want to edit and tap on it to open it in full screen.
- Tap on the group name. The group name will be at the top of your screen next to the group photo. Tapping on it will open the Group Info page for this group.
- Scroll down to the "PARTICIPANTS" section. Here you will see a list of all admins and members in this group chat conversation.
- You will see a red "group admin" indicator next to all admins.
- There is no restriction on the number of admins a group chat can have. All participants can be made admins in a group.
- Tap on a group member from the list. This will bring up a pop-up menu of options to edit or interact with this user.
- Select . This option will be at the bottom of the pop-up menu above the Remove user option. It will instantly make this user a group admin in this chat.
- You have to be an admin in a group to make another user an admin as well. If you're not already a group admin, you will not see this option on the menu.
- You cannot unmake it once you make somebody a group admin. If you want to strip a group participant of their admin privileges, you will have to remove them from the group, and then add them back again as a participant.