Donate a Car to a Family Member
Is one of your family members in desperate need of a car, but too poor to buy one themselves? Do you own or know of a car that they could have? Read on for information on how exactly you should donate such a thing.
- Make sure the car is in working condition. You don't want to donate a shell of metal that would explode if you kicked it. Check the engine, the brakes and the tyres.
- Clean it up a bit. Vacuum the inside carpets and clean the windows. Make it presentable.
- Don't feel pressured to donate the car if you still need it. You can help out in other ways. You don't have to donate the car if you need it.
- Bring up the topic of donation casually. Say that you have a car and ask if they would like for you to donate it to them.
- You shouldn't force them into it, but follow your instincts. If you feel that they should have the car, offer to take them on a test drive.
- Leave the keys with them. If they don't want them, they don't have to use them. It's for peace of mind, should they need it.
- If you're donating a car for someone's birthday, only complete the first two steps and keep it as a surprise.
- If the person to whom you are donating the car is not around (on holiday, in hospital), tell the people that live with/closest to them. Let them in on your scheme.
- Make sure that the person can drive. Don't let them drive without a license, either.
- Donate a Vehicle
- Help a Really Sick Friend or Relative
- Set up a Fundraising Event