Install High Intensity Discharge Lights on a Chevrolet Cobalt
A step by step way on how to Install high intensity discharge (HID) lights on a 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt with manufacturer headlights. This is a nice little modification to the car, which also adds safety for the driver.
- Open the hood of the car and using a 10mm socket unscrew the 2 bolts on each side off the headlight assembly.
- Once that is complete, disconnect any connections going to both headlights.
- Behind each headlight there is a turning cap. Twist it to the open position in order to take out the original bulb.
- Take the open/close cover and place it on top of the HID bulb and carefully put it into the headlight. Be sure not to touch the bulbs with your fingers.
- Now that the headlights are ready you want to connect the wiring harness.
- Place the wires in whichever way you would like at your own risk. The neater the better.
- Take off the fuse box cover and unscrew the positive metal terminal.
- Take the black (negative) wire and connect it to a metal painted part on the car.
- For the positive wire, take wire cutters and cut a small piece off for it to fit on the positive terminal on the fuse box. Once that is done bolt the screw back into place.
- The rest of the procedures is plug and play.
- Take the end cables of the wiring harness and connect that to straight into the ballast. Remember, the neater the better.
- The connections on the ballast go in to the HID bulbs connected to the headlight.
- Before anything check to see if lights turn on. If they do, great, if not, retrace steps.
- Once this is done, place the headlight back into its place and screw them back into the headlight bracket.
- Adjust the lights for them to be straight.
- You are finally done.
- Use right sized nuts and bolts !
- Do at your own risk.
- HID bulbs can disturb driver of opposite vehicles
- Battery may drain out faster