Mute a Group Chat on WhatsApp on Android
This article teaches you how to stop receiving notifications from a WhatsApp group chat on your Android.
10 Second Summary
1. Open WhatsApp.
2. Tap and hold the chat.
3. Tap the mute icon.
4. Remove the check mark from "Show notifications."
5. Tap OK.
- Open WhatsApp. It’s a green chat bubble icon with a white phone receiver inside. You’ll find it on your home screen or in the app drawer.
- Tap and hold the chat you want to silence. You can lift your finger when you see the mute icon (a speaker with a line through it) appear at the top of the chat list.
- Tap the mute icon.
- Select a duration. You will not receive new notifications from this group chat for the amount of time you select. Your options are 8 Hours, 1 Week, or 1 Year.
- Remove the check mark from “Show notifications.” This ensures that you don’t see new on-screen notifications when there’s new chat activity.
- If you still want to see on-screen notifications (but not hear a tone), you can skip this step.
- Tap . The group chat is now muted. You will not be notified of new activity in this chat until your desired time period ends.