Contact Famous Celebrities
Want to contact your favorite movie star, singer or actress/actor to let them know how much you like their work? Or maybe you're starting an autograph collection? Meeting or contacting a famous person can be difficult because of their busy schedules and their strong desire for personal privacy. But with a little work and some light research, getting in touch with celebrities is possible through online means, physical mail, and agents/publicists.
Using Online Services
- Check out your favorite celebrity’s Twitter. Make a Twitter account and follow your favorite celeb. Tweet at them directly by using the @ symbol followed by their account name. Use tags that your celebrity is using to improve the chances of them seeing your posts.
- Follow Twitter accounts that your celebrity follows. Doing this may make your tweets more visible. Try to connect with these accounts as well. They might put in a good word with the celebrity.
- Make sure you’re following the verified account for your celebrity. This is indicated by a blue checkmark beside the account name.
- Contact a celebrity through Facebook. Add the celebrity as a friend on Facebook. Many celebrities turn off private messaging on this platform, but in many cases you can still communicate with them by posting on their wall. If you can send private messages, do so with a friendly, polite request for contact.
- Respectfully tell the celebrity in your message how you feel about them and why they are important to you. Making your message personal may improve your chances of being contacted.
- Get your celebrity’s attention on Instagram. Although some celebrities may disable private messaging, it never hurts to try sending a direct message. Comment on photos and posts made by your celebrity. You never know when a celebrity will respond to a comment.
- Upload photos similar to the ones you see on the celebrity’s Instagram. Connect with the celebrity through pictures of shared interests.
- Hashtag the celebrity in your uploaded photos or use the same hashtags as the celebrity. Avoid hashtagging too much, which may come across as over assertive or obnoxious.
- Contact celebrities through their official websites. Official fan or celebrity websites may have message boards your celebrity reads and comments on. Post on community online spaces like these to increase the chances of reaching your celebrity and getting a response.
- Look for recent posts or responses by the celebrity to other website members on the site. Inactivity is a good sign that your chances of contact are slim. In these cases, contact the celebrity through other platforms.
- Investigate the platforms your celebrity uses. Target the platform(s) on which your celebrity is most active. Check their usage history to see if they have responded to other users. Twitter, especially, is a common platform users often get a "shout out" from favorite celebrities.
- If you notice that your celebrity rarely or never uses a certain platform to interact with fans, focus your efforts on one where they're more active.
- Message the celebrity persistently but respectfully. Write a thoughtful message expressing your feelings to the celebrity. Request a personalized response in your message. Send follow up messages after some time has passed.
- Try to respect the fact that this person really doesn't know you, even though you may feel like you already know them well.
- Send a follow up messages two weeks to a month after messaging. Summarize your previous message. Reiterate that you'd appreciate a response.
- Limit your follow up messages to two or three per month. Send more messages than this might be interpreted as coming on too strong, though it may also be taken humorously. Use your best judgement.
- Write Clearly in Texts and Messages in messages. Messages that are too long or that ramble without a point might be overlooked. Focus on specific experiences, like the moment you recognized how much you appreciated the celebrity’s work or the first time you saw them live.
- Write a unique and engaging message to your celebrity. Talk about the impact they've had on your life. Include a related childhood story. This will help you stand out from all the other fans.
- Remember to include a brief request for a response, like, “If you could write me a short, personal message with your signature, I’d really appreciate it.”
- Message through several different platforms. You should be sensitive when attempting this. In some cases, flooding a celebrity with messages through all their electronic accounts might be interpreted as coming on too strong. You might try two different platforms at first, then two others, and alternate between these.
- Participate in fan community events. Fan communities often put together gifts for their celebrity on special dates, like their birthday or the day of their first big release. Joining in activities like this could put you in closer contact with your celebrity.
- Some gift ideas you might suggest as a present for your celebrity include things like collages, gift baskets, handmade crafts, and more.
- Question and Answer (Q&A) events. Think up engaging questions and follow the directions of the event to submit these.
- Kickoff gift giving or the celebration of a special event by posting something like, "Hey guys, I realized that so-and-so's birthday is coming up and I thought we could do something nice for it."
- Wait patiently for a response. Depending on the celebrity, they may be getting dozens or even thousands of messages a day. It may take some time for the celebrity or their publicist(s) to sift through all these message and find yours.
- While you’re waiting, join fan community activities. Through these, you might hear about meet-and-greets or other contact opportunities.
Connecting with Celebrities Through Physical Mail
- Find their address. Addresses for fan mail are frequently available on a celebrity’s official website. There are also special, pay-to-use directories that contain the contact information for famous people. This information oftentimes also includes representing management, like publicists, representing companies, and more.
- You may be able to find a suitable mailing address for a celebrity through a simple online keyword search for “fan mail for John Doe.”
- Pay-to-use celebrity directories are, in many cases, affordable and can greatly increase your chances of getting a response. Find these with a keyword search for "celebrity contact directories/service."
- Write a letter. One that is written by hand will likely have more impact. Use your best handwriting. Try to write the letter without making any mistakes to improve its overall appearance. Mention specifics, like what you enjoy most about the celebrity. Ask the celebrity to send a brief response.
- You may want to include something to autograph, like a photo of the celebrity or yourself, a clipping from a magazine interview of the celebrity, and so on.
- Make things as easy as possible for the celebrity. Include a pre-paid and pre-addressed return envelope.
- Send the letter. Address the letter and attach the postage necessary to send it. If you don’t know how much postage is required for your letter, take it to your local post office and have them evaluate postage for you. Send your letter as soon as possible so your celebrity receives it and can respond.
- Stay abreast of news about your celebrity while waiting. You never know when the celebrity you’re interested in contacting will hold an online question and answer session. They might respond to a valid point you’ve made on a message board on their official website. Stay engaged with fan communities to improve your chances of contact while you wait for a reply to your letter.
Reaching Celebrities through Their Agents, Managers, or Publicists
- Reach out to celebrities through their agent or publicist. Typically, agents are used for booking celebrities for an appearance, concert, endorsement, movie, or similar activities. Publicists deal with anything related to the public, like magazines articles, blogs, and interviews.
- A celebrity’s manager is involved in all aspects of their career. Less known celebrities may only have a manager. These people are generally very busy, but can help you contact your celebrity.
- You may be able to find manager, agent, or publicist information through your celebrity’s Facebook page.
- Look on your celebrity’s Internet Movie Database (IMDB) or Wikipedia page. You can often find publicist or management company information in these places. Then look up the publicist or management company contact information.
- Craft a suitable message. Depending on the contact information you’ve found, this could be a written letter or email. You might want to break the letter into two parts, one for the publicist and one for the celebrity. Be clear and to the point. Be straightforward in your request for a return message to prove your contact.
- When addressing a publicist, manager, etc., you might want to say something like, “Thank you for helping us fans get in touch with so-and-so.”
- Include a request with your message when appropriate. It would be natural to ask a concert promoter, for example, for a ticket to a concert and a chance to meet the celebrity.
- Some celebrities have a considerable number of staff managing their public relations. If you have the contact information for a few of these, try them all. It’s unlikely these people will discuss amongst themselves fan mail they’ve read.
- Send your message. It may take some time before you receive a response to your message. In some cases, you may get a “canned” response, where you receive a pre-made message that says something to the effect of, “The celebrity is too busy to respond to your message now.”
- After a reasonable period of time has passed, like a few weeks to a month, try another means of contact. Aim to make yourself noticeable among other fans, but not overbearing.
- Celebrities often change their agencies and representation. The addresses you find on the Internet or in books may be out-of-date.
- Write "Forwarding Service Requested" under the destination or return address and the post office will hopefully forward your letter to the celebrity's current address. This may incur you fees.
- If your handwriting is poor, don’t feel bad about typing a letter. To personalize this, however, you may want to decorate it by hand.
- Your message will probably be seen by a lot of people, so don't say anything too personal or embarrassing. Personal details can discourage agents from passing your letter on.
- Don't call, continually pester, or stalk a celebrity. If you don't get a reply after one or two letters, stop for a while. Repeated or rude requests can constitute harassment or stalking in more serious cases.
- Some services that claim to help putting you in touch with your celebrity might actually be scams. Always investigate online companies and take measures to prevent identity theft.
- Write an Autograph Request Letter
- Talk to Celebrities
- Ask a Celebrity for an Autograph or Photo
- Meet Your Favourite Band or Singer
- Send an Autograph Request
- Find Celebs on Twitter
- Contact Bloggers
- Send Clothes to a Celebrity
Sources and Citations